The Wrigley Building FeaturesFrom the start, all eyes were on The Wrigley Building. Between 1922 and 1924, it was the city’s tallest building. The four clocks of its tower gave the time to people approaching from all directions. And because of its siting, the building was, and still is, visible all along the western expanse of Grant Park south of the river.
At the time the William Wrigley Jr. Company built its headquarters here, other companies still had manufacturing operations close by. To block the sound from its industrial neighbors, the architects installed a glass panel between The Wrigley Building’s two towers.
In 1957, the wall came down to make way for the plaza but the glass wall remained, which deterred pedestrians from entering the public walkway between the towers. The new ownership has worked with the Alderman and the City of Chicago to upgrade this walkway, making it accessible to all. A new, historically detailed, bronze storefront was installed along the plaza, and the “modern” glass column covers at the former 410 Club – dubbed an “antiseptic, refrigerator-style wall” by Chicago Tribune architecture critic Blair Kamin – were restored with new terra cotta. Most dramatically, the owners removed the non-historic screen wall installed under the connecting bridge at Michigan Avenue, effectively extending the street activity into the plaza and enhancing the pedestrian connection between Michigan and Wabash Avenues. Retail leases include outdoor seating, which further energizes the plaza. The current renovation has transformed the plaza into a sensational retail destination on the Magnificent Mile.